Vision impairment is a condition that causes decreased vision and it cannot be corrected either by using contact glasses, lenses, or eye surgery. Vision impairment can occur due to various eye problems. However, brain and nerve disorders can also lead to vision impairment. The level of vision impairment can vary from person to person based on several factors.
Types of Vision Impairment
Vision impairment is of different types based on the extent they affect your quality of life. The following are the different types:
- Loss of central vision: The central part of the retina helps to identify colours, shapes, and other things in a detailed manner. If the central vision is lost, a blur or a blind spot vision is seen. As a result, reading, writing, and identifying faces from a long distance becomes difficult. This does not affect the movement as the side vision is perfect.
- Peripheral vision loss: It is also known as tunnel vision and people with this condition can only see objects around the eyes. They cannot see anything which is above or below the eye level. It does not affect central vision and hence objects can be seen directly. This type of vision impairment is typical and it affects your mobility. If this condition is severe, reading a newspaper may also become difficult.
- Blurred vision: People with blurry vision become sensitive to bright light. People with this condition face difficulty reading, writing, and for performing accuracy works. If you have blur vision, you may also face difficulty to travel as the vision becomes out of focus.
- Vision disorders caused by brain injuries: Injury or damage to the brain and trauma can also lead to vision impairment. People with this type of vision impairment also face other issues such as memory problems.
- Sensitivity to light: People with vision impairment become extremely sensitive to light when the levels of illumination burden the vision. People who become extremely sensitive to light also experience pain when exposed to normal levels of illumination.
- Night blindness: People who have night blindness will not be able to view in the moonlight or dim light areas such as theatres.
Causes of Vision Impairment
Vision impairment can occur at any age. As mentioned earlier, vision impairment can be due to various causes such as the following:
- Clouding of eyes known as Cataract
- Diabetic Retinopathy, which affects blood vessels in the retina
- Any injuries to the eyes
- German measles
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Retinitis pigmentosa
Visual Acuity Test
A visual acuity test helps to know how detailed a person can see the size and shapes of objects from a long distance. This test is usually performed for people who have eye problems.
Treatment for Vision Impairment
People with vision impairment can lead an individual life using rehabilitation solutions. Most people with vision impairment can improve their quality of life through the use of devices or other treatment options. The following devices may be prescribed:
- Spectacle-mounted magnifiers
- Handheld or spectacle-mounted telescopes
- Handheld and stand magnifiers
Low Vision Rehabilitation is also an effective and standard solution for vision impairment. It can help people with low vision to live independently and thereby improves their quality of life. Several techniques can be learnt by people with vision impairment to handle their daily activities.
Looking for Best Eye Hospital for Vision Impairment? Visit Think Eye Today
Think Eye Hospital is one of the Best Eye Hospital in Hyderabad. We have gained a reputation in Hyderabad within less time due to our quality and affordable services. We have treated patients with various eye problems and helped them lead a healthy and quality life. You can count on us for vision impairment as we have Experienced Ophthalmologists. To discuss your condition, call us and book your appointment.