I had the great experience with ThinkEye Hospitals. My father had laser cataract surgery without complication. Dr. Mamatha took good efforts to explain the procedure and everything is transparent. Friendly staff and doctors.
Dr Arpitha saved my eyes. Had I not gone to them sooner I could have lost my eyes. Dr Arpitha responded fast and saved my eyes. One of the best eye doctors in Hyderabad.
I went for a second opinion to thinkeye... My initial though was to get a second opinion and go back to the first doctor for surgery. But Dr mamatha captured my trust. They explained everything to me in detail and I decided to go for the surgery at Think eye....
Mr. Kartik Kumar
Best hospital for cataract surgery in Hyderabad. My mother in law's cataract surgery was sucessful. It was recommended by a friend of mine and now I would happily recommend it to anyone in need of cataract surgery.
Glaucoma Treatment at Think Eye
Best Glaucoma treatment hospital in Hyderabad with specialists dealing with simple to advanced cases of glaucoma.
Think Eye Hospital offers customised treatment options for Glaucoma, from simple medication to advanced surgical options.
High Success Rates
Expert Panel of
Table Of Contents
What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma damages the optic nerve prematurely. The condition is often caused by high pressure in the eye due to excess fluid build-up. The condition is one of the most common markers of blindness, leaving over 7.5 million people blind worldwide.
Often termed as the “sneak thief of sight,” the symptoms of this disease are next to negligible. The eye condition affects vision, gradually resulting in poor eyesight and complete blindness before the patient even realizes it.
What Causes Glaucoma?
Our eyes produce a fluid inside called aqueous humor, responsible for maintaining nourishment and hydration of the eyes. While the fluid is naturally drained out through the canal located at the angle of the eye, in patients with
glaucoma, there is irregular and non-uniform drainage of the fluid, leading to excess fluid pressure in the eyes. This extra pressure is termed intraocular pressure (IOP).
The raised IOP in the eyes imposes direct damage to the optic nerve, inhibiting the sensations carried to the retina. Not just the optic nerve, the raised IOP also damages the optic disc. However, there are instances in which patients
with glaucoma have had normal IOP levels, so fluid pressure can’t be the only measurement marker for the disease.
Types of Glaucoma
There are predominantly three different types of glaucoma, including:
- Open angle glaucoma – In this type, the constant resistance to the outflow of the canal in the eyes leads to a raised fluid pressure that directly affects the optic nerves. The patient affected with this type of glaucoma often loses their peripheral vision first, followed by their central or tunnel vision.
- Angle closure glaucoma – This condition is caused due to the relative block to the free flow of the fluid in the eyes.
- Developmental glaucoma – The last type is associated with developmental anomalies witnessed in children during or after their birth. It is further divided into two types – congenital glaucoma and juvenile glaucoma.
Who are at risk of Glaucoma?
You are at heightened risks of glaucoma if:
- Above 35 years age
- Genetic predisposition
- Patients who are on steroid drops or ointments
- Struggle with chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension
- See colored rings around your eyes
Treatment for Glaucoma
Glaucoma treatment helps patients preserve their remaining vision before the symptoms take a turn for the worse.
Since the condition is tough to detect and diagnose, the patients must undergo regular eye check-ups to detect the disease at an earlier stage. If diagnosed at an early stage, the condition can be managed with medications alone. However, in severe cases, the patient might have to consider undergoing laser treatment or surgery.
How is Glaucoma diagnosed?
Ophthalmologist can runs five types of tests to diagnose Glaucoma.
- Slit lamp microscope examination – In this, the doctor focuses a beam of light into the eye to check for severe injuries or diseases in the eye.
- Applanation Tonometer – This instrument is used to measure the fluid pressure inside the eyes to check for anomalies.
- Gonioscope – This examination is done to check the angle of the eye. This test is done to check the type of glaucoma the patient is suffering from.
- Optic disc examination – The doctor will generally do a computerized scan of the optic disc to check for its health.
- Perimetry test – Damage to the optic nerve impacts the field of vision gradually. Doing a perimetry test helps can help diagnose if the patient has a full field vision or glaucoma has spread to untreatable levels.
Our specialists at Thinkeye have treated over 35000+ patients and we have gained tens of thousands of loyal brand ambassadors over the decades. Listen to what our brand ambassadors have to say about our services…
Dr Mamatha saved my eyes. Thanks to her for saving my life.
Dr Arpitha was diagnosed and treated my eye problem very promptly.
Mr. Mallesh Yadev
Best place for LASIK surgery in Hyderabad.
Best hospital to go to if you have any eye problems
Laser Surgery for Retina
I had the great experience with ThinkEye Hospitals. My father had laser cataract surgery without complication. Dr. Mamatha took good efforts to explain the procedure and everything is transparent. Friendly staff and...
Dr Arpitha saved my eyes. Had I not gone to them sooner I could have lost my eyes. Dr Arpitha responded fast and saved my eyes. One of the best eye doctors...
I went for a second opinion to thinkeye... My initial though was to get a second opinion and go back to the first doctor for surgery. But Dr mamatha captured my trust....
Mr. Kartik Kumar
Best hospital for cataract surgery in Hyderabad. My mother in law's cataract surgery was sucessful. It was recommended by a friend of mine and now I would happily recommend it to anyone...