Dry eye is a common eye condition that occurs when the eyes do not produce enough tears or when the tears evaporate too quickly than usual. To have a clear and comfortable view, the tear film should be smooth and stable. If the tear film has any disruptions, it can lead to uncomfortable signs and can also lead to vision problems.
However, dry eyes can be treated using different methods. The treatment for dry eyes helps to relieve your signs.
Common Signs of Dry Eyes
If you have dry eyes, you may experience the following signs and symptoms:
- A burning or stinging sensation in your eyes
- Becomes more sensitive to light
- Redness in your eyes
- Blurred vision
- Watery eyes
- Difficulty to use contact lenses
- Difficult to drive at night
- A feeling of having something in your eyes
Why Do I Get Dry Eyes?
As mentioned earlier, dry eyes occur when your eyes do not produce enough tears or if the tears get dried up quickly. This occurs to the disruption of the tear film due to various reasons. The following are some of the common reasons for tear film dysfunction:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Hormonal changes
- Allergic eye diseases
- Inflamed eyelid glands
Along with this, there are several factors that can make you prone to dry eyes and can worsen your signs over time. The following are some of the risk factors for developing dry eyes:
- If you are over the age of 50
- If you are using contact lenses
- Certain medical conditions such as neurological conditions, eye problems, etc.
- Use of certain medications
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
- History of refractive surgery
How Does the Doctor Check If I Have Dry Eyes?
The doctor will first ask you about your medical history and will ask you about your signs. The diagnosis for dry eyes is based on your signs. An eye exam will be performed to know the health of your eyes and to know the cause. The doctor also conducts some tests and procedures to know the cause of your condition.
The following other tests may also be performed:
- Slit lamp exam
- Schirmer’s test
- Tear breakup time test
- Tear osmolarity test
Treatment for Dry Eyes
The treatment for dry eyes is based on the cause of your signs. If it is left untreated, it can lead to scarring of the cornea. The treatment for dry eyes helps to reduce inflammation, and to wet your eyes.
The different treatment options include:
- Artificial tears: These are the common type of over-the-counter eye drops for mild dry eyes. Artificial tears can help increase eye moisture and can relieve your signs. But artificial tears cannot treat the underlying conditions.
- Ointments: Ointments can be used while sleeping at night to maintain eye moisture till you wake up.
- Medications: The doctor may prescribe medications to increase tear production in your eyes. The use of prescribed medications can help improve your signs.
- Lifestyle changes: If your lifestyle habits are causing dry eyes, then making lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking, etc. can help reduce your signs.
- Punctual plugs: If your tears are evaporating too quickly, then the doctor may place punctual plugs in your tear ducts. This will help to conserve tears in your eyes.
- Surgery: If your dry eyes are severe and if the above methods do not help, then surgery might be considered. Surgery focuses on making your tears stay in your tears. This is done is permanently plugging the drainage holes in the corners of your eyes.
Suffering From Dry Eyes? Do not Wait and Visit Think Eye Hospital for an Effective Solution
If you or your loved one have been suffering from dry eyes and looking for the best eye hospital in Hyderabad, visit Think Eye today. Think Eye Hospital is one of the well-known and best eye hospitals in Hyderabad. We offer a wide range of eye treatments for all age groups. We have a team of ophthalmologists and eye surgeons to provide exceptional care for our patients. We are well-equipped with effective tools and technology to ensure the safety of our patients. If you are willing to discuss your condition with one of our specialists, call us and book your appointment right away.