A cataract is one of the common eye problems in people above 40 years of age. It mainly occurs due to ageing but there can be other possible causes such as genes, sun exposure, etc. Though it is not a life-threatening problem, it should not be ignored. The cataract is the clouding of the eye lens and it needs to be removed through Cataract Surgery.
If neglected, cataracts can lead to serious problems. It cannot be treated through eyeglasses, eye drops, or medications and surgery is the only option to treat it.
Why Many People Delay Cataract Surgery?
Many people with cataracts delay the surgery due to the following reasons:
- They consider surgery as painful and has risks and side effects. The fact is that the surgery can be performed within a few minutes and it does not cause any pain and discomfort.
- Many people assume that cataracts should be treated when it ripens. But, if the cataract grows, the surgery involves risks and complications. Hence, it should be performed in the early stages.
- People assume that they can survive with cataracts. But it actually affects your routine activities.
What Happens If you Delay or Avoid Cataract Surgery?
Cataract surgery should be performed at the earliest possible. You can postpone this surgery for a few days as it is not emergency surgery. However, you should consider undergoing the surgery at the earliest if it is affecting your daily activities.
If avoided or delayed for a longer time, it can become worse and can lead to the following complications:
- Affects your daily activities: The cataract grows very slowly and if the white area in the lens becomes large, it can affect your daily life. You may not be able to perform daily activities such as reading a newspaper, knitting, using gadgets, etc.
- Unable to drive at night: Poor night vision is the very first sign of a cataract. This makes it difficult to drive at night.
- Vision loss: Cataract is one of the main causes of blindness. If it is left untreated, it can greatly affect your vision. It is impossible to determine the factors that make it worse, or know how fast they grow. Hence, it is suggested to get the cataract surgery performed at the earliest possible.
- A cataract may hyper-mature: If you neglect cataract surgery for a longer duration, the cataract may become hyper-mature and it will be difficult to remove. Hence, the cataract surgery for removing it might involve serious risk factors.
- Increased recovery time: If the surgery is delayed for a prolonged time, the effectiveness of the surgery gets affected and it possesses more risks and complications. Eventually, the recovery time and side effects also increase.
Other possible risks of delaying cataract surgery include:
- Double vision
- Sudden headache
- Inflammation of eye
- Eye pain that occurs suddenly
By considering all the above risks and complications, you should not delay the surgery as it affects your productivity and quality of life. Get the surgery performed by a well-qualified and experienced ophthalmologists for the best results.
Think Eye Hospital is Your Right Stop for Cataract Surgery
If you are looking for an Eye Hospital to undergo cataract surgery, Think Eye is your go to place. We have performed hundreds of cataract surgeries in Hyderabad and helped several patients to bring back their vision. We use the latest tools and equipment to make the surgery easy and comfortable for our patients. What are you waiting for? Schedule your appointment today.