Cataract surgery is a safe, effective, painless, non-invasive and most commonly performed surgery. Cataract surgery involves the removal of clouded natural lens of the eye and replacing it with an artificial lens called an intraocular lens (IOL). The IOL becomes a part of your eye and helps to restore your vision. The minimally incision cataract surgery (MICS) is very effective at treating cataracts and the recovery is also faster.
The recovery time is also faster and most people find an improvement in their vision after the surgery. Though you can recover faster from Cataract Surgery, you need to take certain precautions following the surgery.
Recovery After a Cataract Surgery
The cataract surgery can be completed within 10 to 15 minutes and you need to take rest for at least half an hour after the surgery in the hospital. Within these 30 minutes of rest, the anaesthesia wears off. The doctor will cover the eye with a protective shield before you leave the hospital. You can remove the shield a day after the surgery. Most people notice an improvement in their eyesight after the surgery. Even if you have a blurry, or wavy vision, you do not need to worry. But if the vision does not improve after a few days, you need to visit your doctor.
Following the surgery, you may experience:
- Blur and double vision
- Bloodshot eye
- Watering from eyes
But all these signs go off after a few days. You can recover within 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery and you can perform all your daily routine. If you experience severe pain, redness, or reduced vision, you should visit your eye surgeon at the earliest.
Dos and Don’ts After the Cataract Surgery
The recovery time after the cataract surgery varies from one patient to another. The doctor will provide certain instructions to be followed after the surgery to recover faster and safer.
The following are some of the do’s after the surgery:
- Use eye drops as instructed by your doctor to prevent infection and inflammation
- Attend all the follow-up appointments with the doctor to ensure your recovery is progressing
- Use pain killers if you have any pain and discomfort after the surgery
- Use protective eyewear for a few days to prevent infections and ensure a safe recovery process
- You can take shower as usual
- Always use an eye shield while washing your hair
- You can watch tv, sit on a computer and can read
- When you go outdoors, use eyeglasses or sunglasses
- Always wash your hands with a soap before applying any eye drops
- Clean your eyes at least twice a day using cotton with cleaned boiled water
- Visit your doctor if you find any problem
The following are some of the don’ts after the surgery:
- Do not rub your eyes with your hands. Always use a tissue or moist cotton swab to rub your eyes if they are watery
- Do not wash your eyes for at least ten days and prevent soap or shampoo from entering your eye
- Avoid strenuous and heavy lifting activities
- Do not use any eye makeup for at least 4 weeks
- Avoid shower bath for the first ten days and take bath only below your chin
- Avoid swimming for at least four to six weeks to prevent any damage to your eyes
- Avoid travelling by plane without taking your doctor’s advice
- Stay away from dusty areas to protect your eyes from irritants
- Avoid bending after the surgery as it can increase pressure
- Avoid deep sneezing and coughing after the surgery
During the recovery stage, follow a healthy diet that can benefit your eyes and overall health. Consume a fibre-rich food, leafy vegetables, and lean protein. This helps your body get the required nutrients during the recovery. Avoid consuming food which is high in sugar to prevent the risk of high blood sugar.
Think Eye Hospital – The Best Eye Hospital to Undergo Cataract Surgery
Are you looking for the Best Eye Hospital in Hyderabad to undergo cataract surgery? Then Think Eye can be your right choice. We have a team of ophthalmologists who have gained expertise in performing simple to complex cataract surgeries. We are well equipped with the latest tools and technology to provide a safe and painless treatment for our patients. We have gained popularity in Hyderabad within a less span of time due to our quality and trusted services. To know more about us, call us today.